Monday, May 2, 2011

2010 Song Project - 5/2/2011

Date: Monday 5/2/2011
Songs Cleared Today: 154
Songs Remaining To Be Cleared: 0 - This phase is complete.
Last Song Cleared (Alphabetical Order): "Zero Results" by Hot Hot Heat
Number Of Songs Advanced To Second Round: 36
Total Number Of Songs Advanced To Second Round: 748

I completed Phase 2 of the 2010 album project shortly before the end of the work day today. Phase 2 took 29 days to complete, though some of those days were only half-days due to travel plans.

Throughout the course of Phase 2, I eliminated 2103 songs from contention, bringing the total number of 2010 songs considered down from 3618 to 1495. The 2103 songs are not eligible for my top 500 or my honorable mention list.

Of the 1495 songs that have received "Honorable Mention" status (the top 500 will be removed from the "Honorable Mention" list when they are officially ranked), the first round of the tournament has whittled the list down to 748. The 747 eliminated songs can still make the top 500, but only after the song that eliminated them has made the list.

On Tuesday I will begin Phase 3 of the Project. This phase will complete the tournament by pairing the songs off against each other head-to-head until one "Best of 2010" song remains. Phase 4 will use Phase 2 and 3's head-to-head results to assemble the rest of the top 500.

In order to expedite Phase 3, I will be conducting Round 3 and Round 4 of the tournament at the same time. When a winner is determined in a Round 3 match, that song will be paired off against the next Round 3 winner. This process will reduce the number of eligible songs from 187 after one swipe rather than 374. After Round 3 / 4, I'll be eliminating the last 187 songs one round at a time.

I currently estimate Phase 3 to take about 7 days, but I don't have any measurables regarding how many match-ups I can complete in a normal day. After a few days I'll have a better idea of my pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment